Thursday, June 18, 2015

Mouse au Chocolaté




This recipe inspiration came to me when I was in Paris last in 2015. We had our son William (age 2) with us so we were not able to go out to eat much. On the bright side we were able to explore all the local bakeries and try all sorts to pastries.  Mouse au Chocolate was probably one of my favorites.  I got it from supposedly one of the best bakeries in Paris called Pain De Sucre.  It was served chilled in a tiny adorable glass jar. 



 It was thick and not too sweet but yet rich.  It was just the perfect desert to end a meal with.  At that moment I just knew I had to try and make it at home. So I did.  I took a traditional french recipe and made a few major changes to fit my own taste.  It has no added sugar which is so great! You will be shocked how easy it is to make.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  It takes me back to Paris with every chocolaty bite.  Bon Appetit!


Makes 4-6 servings 

Ingredients:

6 - pasteurized egg whites 

6 - pasteurized egg yolks

1 1/3 cups - semi sweet chocolate chips

a pinch of tartar 

a pinch of salt 

Directions:

1. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in a metal heat proof bowl placed over a saucepan of boiling water. Stir as chocolate is melting. Remove from heat when melted to cool slightly.

2. Prepare four 3-inch diameter ramekins or ice-cream/pudding glasses.

3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar on low and then increasing slowly. Beat eggs until stiff but not dry.

4. Stir egg yolks into the chocolate. Gently stir in a third of the egg white mixture into the chocolate.

5. Combine the chocolate mixture into the with the egg white mixture and gently mixture together completely.

6. (Optional) I like to return my mouse back over the boiling water just so I can cook the eggs a little more. Be careful not to over cook the mixture as it will get more like a fudge than mouse like. Also the fluffiness of the eggs will disappear and you don't want that. Take off the heat when mixture starts sticking to the bowl. Make sure you stir consistently. Again this step is optional.

7. Spoon the mouse into the prepared ramekins or glasses. Cover with a surround wrap placing it directly over the mouse. Chill completely and then serve. (Mouse will taste significantly better when it is completely chilled. So make sure you keep it refrigerated).

Notes:

*Pasteurized eggs should remove any risk of Salmonella from eating raw eggs. The statistics on contracting Salmonella are pretty slight but off course follow your own judgment. 


No comments :

Post a Comment